Nuffie

Monday 7 September 2015

Learning English Grammar : Conditionals - 'if"

Assalamualaikum WBT,

How do you my dear readers? How do you do? I am so very sorry for not updating many as much entries as I could for these past few months. Too busy, I just cannot cope with two blogs, I could only update just one blog, plus, I am using my hand phone as my medium to update my blog. I am so very sorry.

Therefore, on that note, I want to update a little bit on English grammar.

Have you ever heard of Conditionals - 'if'?

Well, you haven't, I will explain it to you what Conditionals - 'if' is. The 'if' clause is used to talk about events that have not happened and what will be the results if they happen. The 'if'' clauses are used in the following ways:

Type 1 Conditional

1. To talk about a real or possible situation

'if' clause (The Simple Present Tense) + Main clause (The Simple Future Tense)
                                                             - will + main verb
                                                             - will be + adjective

Examples :

If you read more books, you will improve you English.
If it rains, I will not go out.
If you do not eat now, you will be hungry.

Note : Instead of  will, we can use auxiliary verbs like may/might (probability), may (permission), can (permission or ability) or must/should/ought to (obligation or duty).

Type 2 Conditional

2. To talk about an unreal or impossible situation

'if' clause (The Simple Past Tense) + Main clause
                                                       - would + main verb
                                                       - would be + adjective

Examples :

If Liza went out with them, she would regret it.
If she received the present, she would send it back.
If they were singers, they would be famous.

Type 3 Conditional

3. To talk about a situation which is impossible because it refers to the past.

'if' clause (The Past Perfect Tense) + Main clause
                                                      - would have + past participle
                                                      - would have been + objective

Examples :

If Kanye had taken the test, he would have passed.
If I had known that she was coming, I would not have joined this trip.
If he had planned this carefully, the outcome would not have been disappointing.

That is all for now.

Assalamualaikum WBT

p/s: I can't promise. Haha...

No comments:

Post a Comment